Cycling sunglasses are an essential accessory for anyone who enjoys riding a bike. Whether you are a casual cyclist or a professional racer, you need to protect your eyes from the sun, wind, dust and debris that can impair your vision and cause discomfort. In this blog post, we will explore some of the benefits of cycling glasses, as well as some tips on how to choose the best pair for your needs.
Table of Content
Benefits of cycling glasses
Cycling sunglasses have several advantages over regular sunglasses or no sunglasses at all. Here are some of them. They
– reduce glare and enhance contrast, which can help you see better and avoid obstacles on the road or trail.
– block harmful UV rays, which can damage your eyes and increase the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
– prevent eye fatigue and headaches, which can affect your performance and enjoyment of cycling.
– shield your eyes from wind, dust and debris, which can irritate your eyes and cause infections or injuries.
– improve your aerodynamics and reduce drag, which can make you faster and more efficient on your bike.
How to choose cycling sunglasses?
There are many factors to consider when buying cycling glasses, such as fit, comfort, style, lens type and color, frame material and shape, and price. Here are some tips on how to find the best pair for you:
– Fit: Your cycling sunglasses should fit snugly on your face, without slipping or bouncing. They should also be compatible with your helmet and not interfere with your peripheral vision.
– Comfort: Your cycling sunglasses should feel comfortable on your nose and ears, without pinching or rubbing. They should also be lightweight and breathable, to avoid sweating or fogging.
– Style: Your cycling sunglasses should match your personal preference and style. You can choose from various designs, colors and shapes, depending on your taste and personality.
– Lens type and color: Your cycling glasses should have lenses that suit your riding conditions and preferences. You can choose from different types of lenses, such as polarized, photochromic, mirrored or clear. You can also choose from different colors of lenses, such as gray, brown, yellow or blue. Each type and color of lens has its own advantages and disadvantages, depending on factors such as light intensity, contrast, glare and visibility.
– Frame material and shape: Your cycling sunglasses should have frames that are durable, flexible and resistant to impact. You can choose from different materials such as plastic, metal or carbon fiber. You can also choose from different shapes such as wraparound, aviator or rectangular. Each material and shape has its own pros and cons, depending on factors such as weight, strength, comfort and style.
– Price: Your cycling glasses should fit your budget and offer good value for money. You can find cycling sunglasses at various price ranges, from cheap to expensive. However, price is not always an indicator of quality or performance. You should look for cycling glasses that meet your needs and expectations, regardless of the price tag.
The importance of stylish and fashionable cycling sunglasses
Cycling sunglasses are an essential accessory for anyone who enjoys riding a bike. They not only provide comfort and protection from the sun, wind, dust and debris, but they also enhance the appearance and style of the cyclist. A good pair of cycling glasses should fit well, have a durable frame and lens, and offer adequate UV protection. But beyond these functional aspects, cycling sunglasses should also look good and fashionable. Why is that important?
Boost of confidence
First of all, looking good and fashionable can boost the confidence and mood of the cyclist. Wearing a pair of stylish cycling sunglasses can make the rider feel more attractive and professional, which can translate into better performance and enjoyment on the bike. Additionally, looking good and fashionable can also help the cyclist express their personality and preferences. Cycling glasses come in a variety of colors, shapes and designs, so the rider can choose the ones that suit their taste and style. By wearing cycling sunglasses that reflect their individuality, the cyclist can stand out from the crowd and make a positive impression on others.
Safety and visibility
Secondly, looking good and fashionable can also benefit the cyclist in terms of safety and visibility. Wearing a pair of bright or reflective cycling glasses can make the rider more noticeable to other road users, especially in low-light conditions or busy traffic. This can reduce the risk of accidents and collisions, as well as increase the awareness and respect of other drivers and pedestrians. Moreover, looking good and fashionable can also help the cyclist communicate with other cyclists. Wearing a pair of cycling sunglasses that match the color or theme of their bike or outfit can signal to other riders that they are part of a group or a community, which can foster camaraderie and cooperation.
In conclusion, cycling sunglasses should not only be comfortable and offer protection, but they should also look good and fashionable. This can enhance the experience and satisfaction of the cyclist in various ways, such as improving their confidence, mood, performance, expression, safety and visibility. Therefore, when choosing a pair of cycling sunglasses, it is important to consider not only their functionality but also their aesthetics.
Cycling sunglasses are a must-have accessory for any cyclist who wants to protect their eyes and enhance their riding experience. By following these tips, you can find the perfect pair of cycling glasses for you. Happy cycling!
The importance of decent UV protection when buying cycling glasses
Sunglasses are not only a fashion accessory, but also a necessity for protecting your eyes from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. UV rays are invisible radiation emitted by the sun that can damage your eyes and increase your risk of developing eye diseases such as cataracts, macular degeneration and cancer.
But how do sunglasses protect your eyes from UV rays? And what should you look for when choosing a pair of sunglasses? Here are some tips to help you find the best glasses for your eye health.
What are UV rays and why are they harmful?
UV rays are divided into three types: UVA, UVB and UVC. UVA rays have the longest wavelength and can penetrate deep into the skin and eyes, causing premature aging and wrinkles. UVB rays have a shorter wavelength and can cause sunburns and skin cancer. UVC rays have the shortest wavelength and are mostly absorbed by the ozone layer, but some can reach the earth’s surface.
UV rays can damage your eyes in several ways. They can cause photokeratitis, which is a temporary inflammation of the cornea that feels like a sunburn on your eyes. They can also cause pinguecula and pterygium, which are growths on the white part of your eye that can interfere with your vision. UV rays can also contribute to cataracts, which are cloudy areas in the lens of your eye that impair your vision. UV rays can also damage the macula, which is the central part of your retina that is responsible for sharp and detailed vision. This can lead to macular degeneration, which is a leading cause of vision loss in older adults. Finally, UV rays can increase your risk of developing eye cancer, such as melanoma or lymphoma.
How do sunglasses protect your eyes from UV rays?
Sunglasses protect your eyes from UV rays by blocking or absorbing them before they reach your eyes. The lenses of sunglasses are coated with special chemicals or materials that filter out UV rays. Some sunglasses also have polarized lenses, which reduce glare and enhance contrast by blocking horizontal light waves.
However, not all glasses offer the same level of protection. Some sunglasses may look dark or tinted, but they may not block enough UV rays to protect your eyes. Therefore, it is important to check the label or tag of sunglasses before buying them.
What should you look for when choosing sunglasses?
When choosing sunglasses, you should look for the following features:
– UV protection: The most important feature of sunglasses is their ability to block 99% to 100% of both UVA and UVB rays. This is indicated by a label or tag that says “UV 400”, “100% UV protection” or “ANSI Z80.3”. Avoid sunglasses that do not have this information or that say “UV absorbing” or “blocks most UV light”, as they may not offer enough protection.
– Fit: Sunglasses should fit snugly on your face without sliding down your nose or pinching your ears. They should also cover your entire eye area and prevent any gaps where UV rays can enter from the sides, top or bottom.
– Color: The color of sunglasses does not affect their ability to block UV rays, but it may affect how you perceive colors and contrast. Different colors may suit different purposes and preferences. For example, gray lenses reduce brightness without distorting colors, while brown lenses enhance contrast and depth perception. You may want to try different colors and see which one works best for you.
– Style: Sunglasses come in various styles, shapes and sizes. You may want to choose a style that matches your personality and complements your face shape. However, you should not compromise on quality or protection for the sake of style. Make sure that the sunglasses you choose are durable, comfortable and offer adequate UV protection.
Sunglasses are more than just a fashion statement. They are an essential tool for protecting your eyes from harmful UV rays. By following these tips, you can find the best sunglasses for your eye health and enjoy the sun safely.
What is VLT when choosing cycling sunglasses?
VLT stands for Visible Light Transmission. It is a measure of how much light passes through the lenses of cycling sunglasses. VLT is important because it affects the clarity, contrast and comfort of your vision. Different VLT levels are suitable for different lighting conditions and personal preferences. For example, a low VLT lens (such as dark grey or black) blocks more light and is ideal for bright sunny days, while a high VLT lens (such as clear or yellow) allows more light and is better for low-light situations or night riding.
What are photochromic cycling glasses?
If you are a cyclist, you may have heard of photochromic cycling glasses. These are sunglasses that have lenses that automatically adjust to the changing light conditions, from clear to dark and vice versa. Photochromic cycling sunglasses are ideal for riding in variable weather, such as spring or autumn, when you may encounter sun, clouds, rain or fog. They can also save you the hassle of carrying multiple pairs of glasses or swapping lenses. Photochromic cycling sunglasses work by reacting to ultraviolet (UV) light, which is invisible to the human eye but present in sunlight. When exposed to UV light, the lenses darken to block out glare and protect your eyes from harmful rays. When there is less UV light, such as indoors or in low-light conditions, the lenses become clear again to let more light in and improve your vision.
There are many brands and models of photochromic cycling sunglasses on the market, each with different features and price points. Some of the best photochromic cycling glasses for 2023-2024 are the ones from Neon Optic, a stylish Italian brand. They have a wide range of stylish sunglasses with both modern and retro elements. Their lightweight sunglasses have several interchangeable lenses, including photochromic ones that covers a wide range of light conditions. The glasses also have adjustable nose pads and temple tips for a custom fit. These sunglasses have a jaunty design that scores style points and wide frames that give excellent coverage. The photochromic lens adapts quickly to changing light levels, from clear to dark grey. The glasses also have rubberized nose pads and temple grips for comfort and stability.
Why cycling sunglasses should not only feel but also look good?
Cycling glasses are not only functional, but also stylish. They should look good on your face and match your outfit. Whether you prefer a classic or a trendy design, you can find the perfect pair of cycling sunglasses for your needs. They are the icing on the bike cake or the feather in one’s cycling cap. Completely aligned with our Velofanatics philosophy “Look good, ride good, feel good”.
Different types of sunglass lenses
The best lenses for most cyclists are contrast-enhanced lenses. They allow us to see potholes and other road objects from a greater distance, giving us more time to react. Other lenses to choose from are clear lenses, photochromatic lenses, polarized lenses, prescription lenses and lenses for color-blind people. Clear lenses (with UV400 filter) do not change the color of your vision. They only protect your eyes from UV rays, wind and other elements. Photochromatic lenses are lenses that are clear (or nearly clear) indoors and darken when exposed to sunlight. Polarized lenses are mainly used to reduce glare from the sun. They always come in the form of sunglasses, never in the form of lenses, and do not go back and forth.
The difference between polarized and photochromatic lenses
Photochromatic lenses are lenses that are clear (or nearly clear) inside and darken when exposed to sunlight. Polarized lenses, on the other hand, are mainly used to reduce glare from the sun. On the polarized lens are molecules that absorb the horizontal light waves and allow only the vertical rays to pass through. In other words, when light hits the sunglasses from an angle other than a vertical one, it is absorbed, preventing it from being perceived.
What is the best color for cycling sunglasses?
The best color for cycling sunglasses lenses depends on the weather conditions and the time of day you ride. For example, clear lenses are ideal for dark environments, while contrast-enhancing lenses are the best for most cyclists as they make the view more vibrant and colorful and allow us to spot road dangers from a larger distance. In descent, a pothole can be pretty dangerous. Contrast-enhancing sunglasses can provide you with more time to react and ride more safely. Photochromic lenses are suitable for unpredictable weather. Polarized lenses are primarily used to reduce the sun’s glare. They always come in the form of glasses, never eyeglasses, and don’t transition back and forth.
In summary, the best type of lenses for most cyclists is contrast-enhancing lenses
What are the best lenses for cyclists?
The best lenses for most cyclists are contrast-enhanced lenses. They allow us to see potholes and other road objects from a greater distance, giving us more time to react. Other types of lenses to choose from are clear lenses (with UV400 filter), photochromic lenses and polarized lenses. Read the full article for more information on how to choose cycling glasses. The current Web page context contains a lot of information on this topic.
My favorite cycling glasses brands
Neon Optic Cycling Sunglasses
Cycling sunglasses are more than just a fashion accessory. They are essential for protecting your eyes from harmful UV rays, dust, wind, and insects. Cycling sunglasses also enhance your vision by reducing glare and improving contrast. But not all cycling glasses are created equal. That’s why you should buy cycling sunglasses from Neon Optic, the leading brand in high-performance eyewear for cyclists.
Neon Optic cycling sunglasses are designed with the needs of cyclists in mind. They feature lightweight, durable frames that fit comfortably and securely on your face. Neon Optic glasses have adjustable nose pads and temple tips that allow you to customize the fit and prevent slippage. They have polarized lenses that block 100% of UVA and UVB rays, and filter out blue light that can cause eye strain and fatigue. They also have anti-fog, anti-scratch, and anti-reflective coatings that ensure clear and crisp vision in any weather condition.
Neon Optic cycling glasses come in a variety of styles, colors, and sizes to suit your personal preference and match your cycling gear. Whether you prefer a classic, sporty, or trendy look, you can find the perfect pair of cycling sunglasses at Neon Optic. Plus, they offer a lifetime warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can buy with confidence and peace of mind. Their assortment is really huge. They also have ski goggles and classic eyewear.
So don’t settle for less than the best when it comes to your eyesight. That’s why I have four pair of cycling sunglasses from Neon Optic. I love the fact I can enjoy the benefits of superior vision, comfort, and protection on every ride. I am a big fan of their cycling glasses since my Neon Optic Review article.
Lameda Cycling Sunglasses
If you are looking for a pair of cycling glasses that can protect your eyes from the sun, wind, dust and debris, while also enhancing your vision and comfort, you might want to consider the cycling sunglasses of Lameda. Lameda is a brand that specializes in cycling accessories, and their sunglasses are designed with cyclists in mind. Here are some of the features that make the cycling sunglasses of Lameda so good:
– The glasses have polarized lenses that reduce glare and improve contrast, making it easier to see the road and the surroundings.
– They have a wraparound design that fits snugly on your face and blocks out unwanted light and wind from the sides.
– They have adjustable nose pads and temple tips that allow you to customize the fit and prevent slipping or sliding.
– Lameda cycling glasses have a lightweight and durable frame that is made of TR90 material, which is flexible, impact-resistant and anti-allergic.
– They have a variety of lens colors and styles to choose from, depending on your preference and the weather conditions.
With these features, the cycling glasses of Lameda can help you enjoy your ride more and perform better. Whether you are a casual rider or a professional racer, you can benefit from the quality and functionality of the cycling sunglasses of Lameda.
If you are interested in more information feel free to check my Lameda cycling sunglasses review article.
Koo Cycling Sunglasses
Koo is a brand that specializes in cycling sunglasses, designed by cyclists for cyclists. Their glasses are made with high-quality materials, such as polycarbonate lenses, titanium frames, and rubber nose pads. They are lightweight, durable, and comfortable to wear. They also feature innovative technologies, such as adjustable temples, interchangeable lenses, and photochromic options. Koo sunglasses are designed to fit perfectly with your helmet, ensuring a secure and stable fit. They also come in a variety of styles, colors, and sizes, so you can find the perfect pair for your personality and preference.
Koo sunglasses are not only functional, they are also stylish. They have a sleek and modern design that will make you stand out from the crowd. They are also endorsed by some of the world’s best cyclists, such as Peter Sagan, Egan Bernal, and Lizzie Deignan. When you buy Koo sunglasses, you are buying a product that is trusted by the pros and loved by the fans.
So why should you buy cycling glasses from Koo? Because they offer you everything you need in a pair of cycling sunglasses: protection, performance, comfort, and style. They are the ultimate choice for any cyclist who wants to ride with confidence and flair.